So the blood test came back this morning with a BFN. This is despite multiple, light, but clear positives.
Tuesday on a FRER
So this means either
- False Positives
- Chemical Pregnancy
I’m leaning towards #1, or a combination, because the ICs were 2 hours after the blood test that was negative. Both during the whole “why are some tests positive and some tests negative?” debacle and since, I’ve gotten a lot of comments in the vein of “this is what you get for testing so early.” These comments irritate the crap out of me for several reasons.
- I have tested starting at 8DPO for literally 12 cycles now. I have never had a problem like this before. My tests have either been clearly positive or clearly negative. I have had a few evaporation lines, but not pink ones, and not multiple times in one cycle.
- When I have gotten an early positive before, the lines have continued to get progressively darker, so there was no confusion.
- These were faulty tests showing false positives. They would have still been faulty at 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14DPO etc. Not testing early would not have saved me from false positives.
- If there was a chemical pregnancy I would want to know about it. If it happened once, it would suck. If it recurred, I would want recurrent loss panels, or at least to have my lining monitored.
- “But why test at all? Why not wait until your period is late?”
- I have a history of progesterone deficiency. Because of this, I use OTC progesterone cream from ovulation through when I get enough negative tests to give up. Supplementary progesterone can delay AF, making when I would be “late” hard to determine.
- When I last got cycles regularly, my LP and my cycle length varied greatly. Couple that with the fact that I have had 4 periods in the last 3 years? I have no damn idea when I would be late.
- Have you seen this video on empathy? It says “Empathetic statements rarely start with ‘at least.'” Guess what? They also don’t start or imply “I told you so.” No one knew that I would get false positives this week anymore than they knew I wouldn’t get them the last 11 cycles that I tested early. It happened. It sucks. And even if it did happen because of testing early (which it didn’t) it is still not a helpful statement or sentiment. Sympathize. Empathize. Tell me this sucks, and you wish it had turned out differently. Please. Do not say or imply “I told you so.”
***Caveats and Disclaimers*** (Also, I like lists today)
- I have heard others say “I never test early.” This doesn’t bother me as much. Many people don’t want to deal with seeing a BFN ever. So not testing is the right decision for them. It can be the right decision for them and not the right decision for me.
- This is not directed at any one person/comment/etc. I have heard this from numerous people this week, and just wanted to put in one place my reasons for testing early and why I do not think this was caused by testing early.
I am going to make some changes to my routine/supplements/avoidances this next cycle. I know they may not make any difference, and no doing them is probably not the cause of a BFN this cycle. Probably nothing is. I know that when everything is right, you still have only a 1 in 4 shot at that elusive BFP. But they can’t hurt. Wishing everyone else in the 2WW luck. I hope AF comes soon (now that I have stopped the progesterone,) and I can get this ball rolling again.